April 30, 2006

Antarian Ship Designs

Today, I have been taking a brief look at Antarian ship designs with the hopes of eventually modifying them to make them a stronger opponent. In the game there are two types of ships generated by the Antarians. Those that are for defending the Antarian homeworld and those that are for Attacking the other players. There are currently only slight differences in the designs.

I have summarized the designs in the following tables:

Moo2 Antarian Defensive ship designs

Moo2 Antarian Offensive ship designs

In my opinion these ships are to weak and their attacks are to infrequent to matter. It is far to easy to stop the Antarian invasions even early in the game. The small ships are easily destroyed with missiles due to lack of pd weapons and the large ships don't come early enough.

I am currently working on a mod to change a few things with the antarians. I hope to include the following:

  • Increase Antarian attack frequency.
  • Increase attack fleet size.
  • Add pd weapons to small attack ships.
  • Significantly increase Antarian defensive fleet.
  • Put missile bases, ground batteries, and stellar converter on Antares.
This will probably be in the form of a separate (optional) patch.

8 comments:

siron said...

Nice Ideas. I propose Raider attacks between turn 60-100 with internal stabilizers and jammers combo (above 100 missile evasion in this case negates the simple mirv defense.) Later better jammers etc. I think that the AI doesnt know to use pd effectively...so I prefer evasion strategy.

About your save with the large fleet:
Keep in mind that there is still the timewarp-phase cloak exploit. I was still able to destroy Antares in turn 3 or so (4 doomstars kill the large fleet within 50 combatrounds).

Anonymous said...

Mmm...I miss my captured harbringer. I had thousands to doom stars briseling with assault shuttles ( I think those are the ones that can capture enemy ships). Maybe you could increase the chance of them to self-destruct?

Lord Brazen said...

I noticed a few additional thing. The ships are equiped with different missile evasion tech (ECM jammer, Multi-Wave Ecm Jammer, Wide Area Jammer) depending on the game difficulty. The tables above show the impossible difficulty.

Also, the Black hole generators in the bottom slot on the offensive Harbinger are random. It doesn't matter though, the AI only fires one black hole generator from one slot (so it fires 2 because there are 2 slots with black hole generators).

Anonymous said...

TheDS said...

I think it would be a good idea to tie the tougher Antareans to the game's difficulty level. Some of us still can have a tough time against them as they are, and the game is NOT about being destroyed by Antareans, it's about waxing the bastards and withstanding the occasional irritant attacks. If the Antareans attack much more strongly, it will drain all the fun out of the game.

Afterall, we want to play a game that we are capable of winning more often than not, not one that we lose nearly always.

I wouldn't advise messing with the self-destruct much either, since they're tough enough to capture as it is (in the dozens of games I've played, I capture less than 1 Antarean ship per game on average).

Beefing up Antarean defenses in their system, I don't have much problem with, so long as you don't go insane with it. It's already at the point where I can more easily conquer the whole galaxy than beat them, but having them rebuild lost ships a little faster would be good.

Anonymous said...

Isn't the impossible setting hard enough for you guys?

siron said...

It is pretty easy to stop them currently. You just need mirved missiles. (You get this missile mod after researching 2 further techfields in the chemistry path. F.e., the field pollproc/merculites gives you mirved nukes, but you have to research zort for mirved merculites.)

Anonymous said...

I'm all for Antarian Ships to be built and modded better.

I like the idea of them sending more fleets to attack.

I wish there was a way to have the Antarians send a colony ship, and start colonizing, that would rule all.

Anonymous said...

Why do defensive ships mount bombs? What world are they going to bomb? Or am I incorrectly assuming that defensive ships stay at Antares?

Difficulty level and map size should probably be a determinent of how quickly they build up and how frequently they attack, if they're not already.

Copyright 2005-2019 Shawn Meunier